So there you were, doing work on your MacBook as you were trying to beat a deadline. You turn your chair to get something behind and upon turning back, your elbow hits the glass of water at the side of you laptop. Before you know it, water has spilled on your beloved device and you are in absolute panic mode.
After you’ve screamed in surprise, count to three, take a deep breath and start doing these first aid tips to increase your mac’s survival rate. Think of yourself as a paramedic where every minute counts in order for your device to survive.
- The first thing to do would be to unplug your MacBook. Ensure that you’ve cut all power. For any current going through your laptop, make sure to short it out.
- Remember to turn off the power.
- With your screen open, flip your Mac laptop upside down in order to keep the spilled liquid from seeping further into your computer and reaching the motherboard. To prevent the liquid from draining onto the screen, make sure that you leave it open. The first three steps are critical. You need to complete them as fast as you can, preferably within the first ten seconds from the incident.
- Take out the battery.
- With your mac still upside down, dab the affected area with a paper towel gently.
- Refrain from turning your device on for 24-48 hours. It would be best to have a professional technician examine it as soon as possible.
Note: Unlike a mobile phone, it’s not recommended that you put your Mac laptop with dried rice as this could leave residue on areas that would be quite impossible to clean.
By doing these steps as quickly as you can, your MacBook just may be saved from complete doom and can still remain functioning even after the liquid spillage. But of course, if you want to make sure and have your device checked, our friendly, able Compushooter technicians will be sure to be of much help. Just give us a ring at 480-464-0202 and we’ll be happy to help.